Saturday, June 4, 2011

Your Sagging So Loud, I Can't See your Swagger!


I haven't been very vocal about my opinion when it comes to the issue of Sagging but as a parent of two former teenagers myself (ages 24 and 22 respectively), I must admit that personally, I am not a fan.

So, this being said, I try to be very cognizant of the fact that I am NOT the parent, but a representative of a Conservative Community that has a duty and an obligation to EDUCATE and ENLIGHTEN students about what is and what is not considered progressive in the BIG PICTURE.

This requires getting students to visualize what it looks like from my perspective and quite frankly, the adults they are emulating do not fit the conservative mold...

Take this ad campaign with a picture of an adult, African American male set against the backdrop of the United States White House and President Obama saying "To live in this crib, you have to look the part."

No offense Mr. President but although this educator thinks you are handsome and debonair, my students, for the most part, do not visualize themselves being the president of the United States of America so it is very difficult for them to believe that one day, they too can live in the White House.

They imagine living like 50 Cent on MTV Cribs (Mike Tyson's old Mansion) or Little Wayne in his 20,000 square foot, 10 bedroom, 10 bathroom, ocean-city view, Miami Beach Mansion despite the fact that the current home of President Barrack Obama (the White House) has six floors, seven staircases, 132 rooms, 32 bathrooms, 28 fireplaces, 147 windows, 412 doors and 3 elevators.

Really kids? Like Lil Wayne? I am NOT impressed. Granted, the inside of his mansion is modern and spacious (like a really large apartment) but the exterior features of his home are wanting. Let's just hope his next home has more style and better curb appeal...

At any rate, can you imagine ME teaching in a pair of sagging pants, layers of Granny Panties exposed for all the world to see, with earphones in my ears, listening to music on my iPod and socializing with my friends or text messaging on my cell phone while I'm suppose to be teaching?

First of all, I would be sent home by my boss or put on an ambulance and sent to the nearest emergency room because obviously, something must be medically amiss if a mature teacher reports to work dressed like a Hoodrat.

That would be scandalous. Besides, with teacher salaries what they are today, I can't afford to drop down yet another level in social class or risk losing my job just so I can look "cool" or demonstrate that I can get "my swag on" like some teenager, 30 years my junior...

I'll leave that for "Puff", "Puffy", "Puff Daddy", "P. Diddy", "Diddy", "King Combs" (whose real name is Sean Combs). He can afford to change his name to "Swag" for a week. I can't.

Motherhood and experience have taught me to first appeal to a student's ability to trust that I will not immediately violate them and/or punish them for "not exercising sound judgment, safety, good taste and modesty regarding their dress and grooming" then, give them "an opportunity" to demonstrate that they have the right attitude about school.



Because, let's face it, it IS about attitude.

There is no correlation between intelligence and how deeply one sags his/her pants. And there is no hard evidence that supports the assumptions that people are less productive, more prone to violent, criminal activity or will earn less if they dress more casually.

In fact, when individuals get past a certain level of wealth, they inevitably assume the "casual billionaire" style, most famously expounded by Steve Jobs and Bill Gates.


Am I suggesting that we ignore how students dress entirely? Absolutely not.

I am recommending, however, that we stop lying to our kids and tell them the REAL reason why they should not report to school dressed like an ex con, even if what they are wearing is made by the best selling or most popular Urban Hip Hop Moguls such as Russel Simmons, Jay-Z or Sean John.

1. School is not prison. You have a right to wear your belt, and your shoe laces, as long as you do not threaten to hurt yourself or others with them and they are in "good taste".

2. If you are in the mood for love, you do not need to walk around with your pants sagging. Or, as Eazy E once remarked about women in skirts,as if you are providing "easy access, baby."

3. If it is inappropriate for me, it is inappropriate for you. If I can't report to work in my bra, you can't report to school in a "wife beater." If I can't sag my slacks and expose my Granny Panties, you can't sag your pants and expose your boxer shorts or briefs. You wouldn't want to see me sitting in my chair, in my underwear any more than I appreciate you doing so in front of me.

4. You are not my subordinate. But, you will be treated as thus if you insist on dressing as if you belong in prison. I can not have a serious conversation with you while you are standing in front of me with your pants down to your knees.

5. You are not my equal. In school, as in the workplace, there is a hierarchy. There are rules and standards of behavior that you are expected to follow so that I can do my job which is facilitate your path to success. Learn to "quiet the mind", as Russel Simmon says, so you can move forward. Learn to "listen more than you speak". Adopt an attitude of cooperation so we do not waste time getting you along your path.

The way I see it, if you want to be successful, do your due diligence. In fact, if you want to see Who REALLY Rules America, read Power in America, Wealth, Income, and Power by G. William Domhoff

Then, pull up your pants and be a part of the change, not the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment